Question for make experts

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Question for make experts
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 14:34:26 -0000

In make, it it possible to output an informative string if part of the make fails? As an example of why I'd like to know this, make doc uses texi2pdf and runs this with the --quiet flag. This means that there's no output to the terminal - it's automatically redirected to a log file. I'd like to make it possible to tell users this if texi2pdf fails - something like "Texi2pdf failed compiling DocName.texi. Please check the DocName.log logfile for errors".

I've read the manual and can't see a simple way.

Ta.

--
Phil Holmes