Re: Give slurs skylines in outside-staff-priority calculations. (issue 5

From: Carl . D . Sorensen
Subject: Re: Give slurs skylines in outside-staff-priority calculations. (issue 5504055)
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 17:11:20 +0000

On 2011/12/21 16:13:13, dak wrote:
http://codereview.appspot.com/5504055/diff/1/lily/slur.cc
File lily/slur.cc (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/5504055/diff/1/lily/slur.cc#newcode388
lily/slur.cc:388: vsize N_BOXES = 100;
On 2011/12/21 15:59:52, Neil Puttock wrote:
> Don't you think this is a bit extravagant?  At least, this shouldn't
be
> hard-coded.  A coarser integral should suffice in most cases I'd
think.

Actually, the convex hull of control points and end points is strictly
outside
of the bezier curve itself and should almost always be a reasonably
good fit.

Yes, but our skylines currently consist of boxes that have horizontal
tops.  So we need to approximate a non-horizontal line (e.g. from
control point 0 to control point 1) with a series of horizontal lines.

The new patch set sets a modifiable number of 20 for the number of
boxes.  I'd think that something like 6 ought to work quite well.

Mike, have you done any work to examine the effect of the value of
n_boxes on a) computation time, and b) quality of engraving fit?  If
there is no effect on computation time, then we might as well err on the
side of too many.  If there is a significant effect on computation time,
we ought to be careful to set the number as small as possible.

Also, in keeping with the desire to use full-word variable names,
perhaps box_count would be better than n_boxes.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5504055/