Further work on reducing make doc output - GOP 9

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Further work on reducing make doc output - GOP 9
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 11:34:38 -0000

I've written a shell script that has as its arguments a command line and a logfile. It runs the command, sending the output from that command to the logfile. It then returns the error status from the command line. If an error occurs, it displays a message indicating the name of the logfile. We should be able to use this to reduce the output of make doc considerably, while at the same time retaining the output in logfiles and pointing where to look in the event of a failure.

I attach a set of files that can be used to show this in action. Note that one of the .texi files includes a file with errors, and, FWIW, texi2html continues happily, whereas texi2pdf stops on the error. This is also true even with error-limit =0 - texi2html seems to view errored input as simply something worth warning about. Also note the --clean option for texi2pdf - this reduces the cruft in the output directory a lot, and since we now have a separate logfile, I don't know of a reason to keep it. Please let me know if anyone knows different.

I will convert this to a patch for proper review, but wanted those who understand Unix scripts to pass their eyes over a simple version first.

TIA.

--
Phil Holmes