Re: GUB Build Success!

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GUB Build Success!
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 05:01:34 +0000

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 04:15:06AM +0000, Carl Sorensen wrote:
> Graham Percival <graham <at> percival-music.ca> writes:
> > [*] after installing libmpfr-dev, which is mentioned in the
> > README.
>
> In looking at my notes, it appears that I may have failed on my lilydev
> install because I didn't install libmpfr-dev.  (BTW, the package name
> libmpfr-dev is not in the README; I've made a patch to put it there,
> and I'll send that to you too.

Well, line 117 says
  - the libmpfr library (and development headers)

Different distributions are going to call it different things; I
wouldn't be surprised if (completely random made-up example)
gentoo called it devel-mpfr-lib, for example.

I'm not arguing against clarifying the library name for ubuntu in
the README; ubuntu is a very widely used distribution, and lilydev
is our official development environment, after all.

oh, could you add a note to the "lilydev 2.0" tracker issue to ask
for libmpfr-dev to be installed?  I doubt that many people using
lilydev will be playing with GUB, but that library is IIRC less
than 100 Kb, so we might as well install it.  The same goes for
anything else you had to install.

> It will then be interesting to see if lilydev has everything needed to
> do make lilypond.  On my vanilla 10.04 installation, there were some
> additional things I needed to install in order to make lilypond, even
> after completing make bootstrap.

Hmm.  GUB should auto-download&install anything else it needs --
although that said, I now recall that I have a lot of development
packages that I automatically install whenever I install a new OS.
So maybe my systems have these extra things already installed.

> Anyway, it's been more learning than I expected, but I think I can now
> learn to modify the installers on GUB for windows and OS/X.

Great!

- apparently the OSX thing is already solved.  See the tracker
  issue, consult with Christian, and maybe look at my patches to
  GUB on the subject to see what you need to do.
(hint: it's a 1-line patch)

- no clue about the lilypond-book thing; if we keep on using
  msvrt, you'll need to wade into the vast murky waters of "how do
  we distribute python modules", which I know absolutely nothing
  about.  It's probably going to end up being a 1-line patch
  again, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out to
  be a "15 more hours to change 1 line" thing.
Oh, another hint off the top of my head: try searching (git grep)
for the python modules we *are* distributing.  Maybe you'll luck
out and find a nice compact list of "add these modules to GUB"
somewhere, in which case the whole thing could be solved in 2
minutes.