Re: critical issues

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: critical issues
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 09:55:27 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> 2012/1/5 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>>
>> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

>>> ok...  However - i'm very sorry to say this :/ - it would be better if
>>> i wouldn't have to type \layout-from at all.
>>
>> \layout is not the place to accept arbitrary music.
>
> i understand.  I think my answer is "maybe \layout could work
> differently than now"? [1]

Do not think that I came to abolish the documentation or the
programmers; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

As you so aptly remarked:
> [1] I think that a more detailed discussion should be a part of GLISS.

Well, I am currently more or less working on a first coming -- first
serving base.  My priority is on making work with the current principles
and design nicer.  If you don't like layout specifications and context
definitions, you just write things like \compressFullBarRests into every
voice and things will work out fine.  In fact, many examples I see start
with something like

global = { \time 4/4 \compressFullBars and whatever else }

\new Voice { \global ... }

It just tends to get mucky with implicit voices and grace notes, but the
ways in which it gets mucky are reasonably well-understood.

I really don't quite get the point of complaining that I provide
alternative ways of accessing functionality.  Nobody forces you to make
use of them.