Re: Bounties

From: mike
Subject: Re: Bounties
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 03:01:50 -0800

Moving to devel:

I think this bounty slush fund needs to happen soon-ish - there's been two rounds of talking about it, which is great, but it will remain talk unless someone does something. I also understand that David is in the position of not wanting to do a full court press for organizing the €€ thing because he wants to be earning some of it, which I respect. So I am going to do something - if people have a problem with it, then speak up, but I'm throwing this out there as a solution.

1) Create an e-mail address "address@hidden" (this I can't do - can someone please do this). 2) Create a PayPal account for said address with one and only one person, the € czar, who has access to it. This should be someone responsible and respectable . In my life, I have drank, lied and listened to a lot of ABBA, so I am out, but there are several people on the list who seem like upstanding individuals who could fill this role. 3) Propositions come in on the devel list from developers in the form of "I have project X and I would like Y€ from the slush fund to do it." This will then go up for a private vote (like patch review) where anyone who has git push access can send a vote email to the € czar. If there are more yeas than nays, the person gets the € for doing thing X (in advance of doing it - it'll be a trust system). The € czar has the final say over whether or not to approve the project in order to prevent abuse, and the € czar needs to agree to not be allowed to tap into this fund, lest she give up her role as € czar.

Seems simple, effective, and startable in the next two weeks. I'm sure it is not perfect, but LilyPond is not perfect, and it seems better to start something and change it as need be than to not do anything.

Cheers,
MS