Running patchy (merge staging)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Running patchy (merge staging)
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:55:24 -0000

My draft instructions, based on my memory of what I did.

1. Create a new user on your box - use this solely to run patchy. On my system it has admin privileges but I don't know if that's necessary. New users are created from System; Administration; Users and Groups.

2. Get the patchy scripts from https://github.com/gperciva/lilypond-extra/ patches

3. Put the scripts in a sensible place on your system

4. Create a git repository using git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git - this will create a directory called lilypond with the repo in it. Make sure it's where you want it and name it lilypond-git (assuming you want to follow the standard naming conventions).

5. Create an environment variable called LILYPOND_GIT and make it equal to the location of your new git repo. I did this by editing .profile and adding the line:

export LILYPOND_GIT=~/lilypond-git

and logging out and in.

6. Edit lilypond-patchy-config-DEFAULT to provide working directories for your build directory, your results directory, compiler options and notification method. If you don't want to use email notification, then delete everything after smtp_command:. Save this without the -DEFAULT.

7. Ensure that your new user has git push access. Follow the instructions in the CG. http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/contributor/commit-access. I have not set password protection for the key - I assume that if I did I could not run patchy unattended.

8. python lilypond-patchy-staging.py. Not much happens except a lot of CPU gets used... Please let me know if you plan to do this - I won't run patchy myself. There's not much point trying it unless there something in staging to be merged to master.

9. Results are in a log*.txt file in the directory given by auto_compile_results_dir.

--
Phil Holmes