Re: lily-git.tcl and git clone

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: lily-git.tcl and git clone
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 13:31:15 +0000

On Sat, Feb 04, 2012 at 02:14:56PM +0100, Jean-Charles Malahieude wrote:
>  * "git clone" learned "--single-branch" option to limit cloning to a
>    single branch (surprise!).
>

> This might change things end be quite useful!

Thanks for the news, but in this case it's actually the opposite:
we _want_ all the branches.

The "only a single branch" thing came from about 5 years ago, when
I was 1) on dial-up, 2) didn't trust git, and 3) didn't even trust
the numbers that said that downloading all branches was only 10 MB
more than downloading a single branch.  Unfortunately that's led
to a lot of angst and problems by playing silly games to try to
avoid my silly concerns from years ago.

Hopefully we can put this right by changing lily-git.tcl just as
I've changed the CG to tell people (in the advanced git section)
to just do git clone.