Re: Unbound variable GUILE error when no whitespace before closing brace

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Unbound variable GUILE error when no whitespace before closing brace
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 09:49:38 +0100

James <address@hidden> writes:

> On 5 February 2012 07:30, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> and have the above work except for the missing closing brace.  There is
>> absolutely nothing that LilyPond could, or even _should_ be trying to
>> fix here.  Scheme is Scheme and outside of LilyPond's responsibility
>> regarding syntax and semantics.
>>

> Thanks, I have no problem with that, it's just a case of 'If I made
> that mistake then someone else sure will', and wanted to make sure I
> understood why and if we need to warn users in the doc.
>
> We already do :)
>
> from the LM
>
> 'However, whitespace is required to separate many syntactical elements
> from others. In other words, whitespace can always be added, but not
> always eliminated. Since missing whitespace can give rise to strange
> errors, it is advisable to always insert whitespace before and after
> every syntactic element, for example, before and after every curly
> brace.'

Well, that is talking about LilyPond itself (which tends to separate
more rather than less except when in lyrics), and I have not seen
anybody write

yet because of that somewhat overboarding advice.  It may be worth
mentioning that Scheme expressions not ending on a closen paren will
generally need a following space in order to let the Scheme reader hand
back control to LilyPond.  Other than that, the spacing advice is mostly
relevant for lyrics.