Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 10:24:57 +0000

On Feb 14, 2012, at 10:10 AM, Joe Neeman wrote:

Actually, I was referring to a comment that has since disappeared:

-        because this loop results in the looking up of extents, it may trigger
-        the calling of this function a second time before the first one finishes
-        to execute.  thus, the outside-staff-priority may be set to false.  that
-        is why this check is necessary.

Ah, OK.  Yeah, the current comment is a rewrite of the older one.

I can tell you very concretely where in the code this creeps up.  In metronome-text.ly, when you run the regtests (but not when you compile the file normally), there is an outside staff priority that is set to false somewhere between the sorting using staff_priority_less in skyline_spacing (line 819 of my patch) and the work on line 715.  Barring truly strange behavior, the only two lines that seem like they could possibly cause outside-staff-priority to be set to false between these two points are lines 694 and 695 (the relative coordinate lookups).  If you comment this bit around 715 out and then run the regtests (meaning comment out 716-724), you should see it show up in the regtests.

I can try to do some valgrinding to track down the how/where/whys of this.  My guess is that it may have something to do with metronome marks' after line breaking, but I'm really not sure.  It takes me a long time because it's behavior that only shows up in the regtests.

Cheers,
MS