Re: Simplify font building. (issue 5695061)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Simplify font building. (issue 5695061)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 17:00:57 +0000

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 04:50:21PM +0000, Carl Sorensen wrote:
> On 2/25/12 9:23 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >No, and adding this to GUB will be particularly challenging.  I'm
> >afraid that this will probably postpone the patch indefinitely.
> >:(
>
> Can't we add that package as a requirement for GUB (kind of like we have
> done with libmpfr-dev)?  And we can add it to lilydev.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that... but I don't like the idea.  Any
use of stuff from the host system adds variables to the process;
we already have too much randomness in terms of being able to
compile GUB on some computers but not others.

GUB really shouldn't use libmpfr-dev at all, nor fonts from the
host system, etc.  In fact, after it finishes make bootstrap, it
should remove any host system directories from the PATH, and/or
use a chroot to avoid picking up host-system stuff.  If we did
that -- after fixing bugs in the process, of course -- then we
could actually have a reliable GUB provided that it completed make
bootstrap.