text-input page: what about using SVG and switch element?

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: text-input page: what about using SVG and switch element?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:47:46 +0100

Hi,

how would you feel about using SVG images and the <switch> element in the text-input page?
http://lilypond.org/text-input.html

Pro:
- we could get rid of many .png files for all the translated languages
- maintaining translations would be much easier

Con:
- browser support?
http://www.codedread.com/svg-support.php

In 2007 Graham was against using SVG, because of limmited browser support:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2007-04/msg00087.html

5 years later, something has changed?

Find attached a small draft. Translated languages are it, es, hu, de, nl, fr. If your system language is one of these languages, you should see the translated text; otherwise the text will fall back to english.

I've tested it on Chromium 16 and Firefox 10 and it's working fine.
Can anyone test it on IE9?

Of course, if we care about people using IE8, probably we'll have to wait for IE9 to replace it.

Cheers,
Federico

It’s as simple as A B C

Notes are encoded with letters and numbers. Special commands are entered with backslashes.

text-input-1-output

Alterations are made with different names: add -is for sharp, and -es for flat (these are Dutch note names, other languages are available). LilyPond figures out where to put accidentals.

Pop music Put chords and lyrics together to get a lead sheet: Orchestral parts The input file contains the notes of piece of music. Score and parts can be made from a single input file, so that changing a note always affects the score and parts. To be able to include the same music in multiple places, the music is assigned to a “variable” (a name). This variable is then used in a single part (here transposed, with condensed rests spanning several measures): The same variable is used in the full score (here in concert pitch):