Re: simultaneous rehersal marks, tempo indication, and text marks

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: simultaneous rehersal marks, tempo indication, and text marks
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 15:40:42 +0100

> At the moment, we can't have text and rehearsal marks at the same
> place, i.e.
>
> \relative c' {
>   c1
>   \mark \default
>   \mark "play violently"
> }
>
> This can be faked by using a \tempo mark:
>
> \relative c' {
>   c1
>   \mark \default
>   \tempo "play violently"
> }
>
> But if you want to display an actual tempo marking at the same
> place, you need to resort to silly hacks like grace notes,
> invisible notes, or defining a text mark involving both the
> rehearsal letter and the actual text you want to show.
>
> What would be involved in making a clean solution for this?

I could offer to implement a "markPriority" field.  Simultaneous marks
would be sorted (stably), and the lowest absolute priority wins the
break alignment as its parent.  The rest gets sorted around it according
to their alignment direction.  Something like that.

It would not allow having a mark just at the top of the StaffGroup and
playing instructions in several Staffs, however.