vertical spacing - skyline integrals (was: Two questions about ...)

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: vertical spacing - skyline integrals (was: Two questions about ...)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 23:11:06 +0100

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 9:41 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I suggest that the vertical spacing alrogithm should calculate the
>> area between the objects (staves, systems, lyrics etc).  See here
>> how it would work: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/tsr21
>
> Looks right: The area between horizontal skylines should influence the
> spacing.  However, I think we need a parameter to adjust the amount of
> influence.

I'm not sure what you mean.
I suggest that this would be added to spacing alists, for example

\paper {
  system-system-spacing #'average-gap = #4
}

would mean that the desired whitespace area is 4 staffspace * line width.

Actually, i think that it may be possible to remove basic-distance and
minimum-distance after "area spacing" is implemented.  In other words,
i think average-gap, padding and stretchability could turn out to be
enough parameters for vertical spacing purposes, with average-gap
taking the role of basic-distance.  But that will show in testing, we
need to have a working prototype first (Joe said he will do this).
I've identified two potential problems that may appear, and ideas for solutions:
www.anonstorage.net/PStorage/621.skyline-integrals-teeth-marked.pdf
www.anonstorage.net/PStorage/328.integrals-pitfall-two-marked.pdf
Are the descriptions clear enough?

cheers,
Janek

PS Joe, how did you like my Credo example?