Re: LSR updates

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: LSR updates
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 13:25:25 +0100

On Sun, Apr 08, 2012 at 12:36:05PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> OK.  I'm in the final throes of updating the LSR and have found 2
> issues exemplified by a single file.  In snippets/new we used to
> have a file called screech-boink.ly, with a doctitle of "Screech and
> Boink" and an LSR tag of "headwords".
>
> First problem.  If this is added to the LSR with that Title, the
> filename produced in the tarball is screech-and-boink.ly, which is
> different.

I approve of changing the filename.

> So it would seem the docs would need updating.  But if I
> git grep screech-boink I get 8 itely files (all the translations),
> 10 po/pot files plus a lytex file. Do all these need updating?  Is
> there a quick grep-py way of doing it if so?

I suggest:
- add the new filename
- change it in the English docs
- tell the translators to update their stuff
- add a Critical issue for this update
- when the translators are done, remove the old filename.

> Second problem.  makelsr.py uses an explicit list of directories
> where it takes snippets from to add them to Doc/snippets.  It's
> this:

> So it doesn't even find screech-and-boink.ly, since it's only in the
> headwords directory.  Does anyone know why makelsr doesn't just
> iterate over all the subdirectories in the tarball, rather that
> restricting itself to a specific list?

*shrug*
I didn't know about glob.glob() when I first wrote makelsr.py ?
I can't think of any other reason.

> This issue could be fixed 3 ways: add a further tag to the snippet
> in the LSR; extend the list of tags; or use all the files in the
> directory.  I'd prefer the latter, since the current system is
> confusing - it took me about an hour to work out why screech and
> boink wasn't in the snippet listing.

I don't like the first one.  I'm fine with having the list of tags
extended further or looking at all subdirectories of the lsr
directory.  I think I have a slight preference for just extending
the list of tags, since that's a less intruisive change and thus
has less chance of blowing up in our faces.  But since you prefer
looking at all subdirectories, that's fine with me.