musicxml2ly

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: musicxml2ly
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 18:47:46 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

There have been many requests from several people for Lilypond-to-MusicXML conversion. I am not going to repeat that question.

We do have a musicxml2ly script. I have tried it with many example xml and mxl files from here:

http://www.makemusic.com/musicxml/music/example-set

and here:

http://www.wikifonia.org/

And the lilypond results are sometimes not quite perfect - which is acceptable - but sometimes really bad or even useless.

The good news is that in many cases only a little editing of the .ly file is required to turn a bad conversion into a good one. For example, all lead sheets from Wikifonia that I have tried have the Chords printed below instead of above the staff.

The MakeMusic/Recordare example set reveals some more serious problems like wrong stem directions, duplicated text and dynamic markings, collisions.

Is anyone currently actively working on musicxml2ly ?
Does it help if I write a more detailed description of errors I encounter when I try to convert real life examples of MusicXML files? Or are many problems already known?

--

MT