Re: GSoC

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GSoC
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:17:02 +0200

Francisco Vila <address@hidden> writes:

> 2012/4/23 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:
>> Dear Jan,
>>
>> Congratulations on having your Lyrics project accepted for Google Summer
>> of Code!
>
> Contratulations!

Instead of joining the gratulations, let me _thank_ you for all the work
you put in to make it possible for you to work on major improvements on
LilyPond.  I urge you to be outspoken about "this could be so much
simpler if LilyPond just [...]" realizations.  If you encounter major
roadblocks on a large piece of coordinated work like that, chances are
that many others at your level (really computer-savvy musician) would as
well.  And that is something we want to get under control if LilyPond
development does not, at one time, want to look like LaTeX development
does right now: a few brainiacs polishing changes that will see the
light of day, if at all, in tens of years and will cause no-one to
change horses anymore.

So thanks for making it possible for you to spend this summer
intensively on LilyPond, and I hope we all manage to do what it takes to
make this into a real step forward.