Re: What's with the test-patches volunteers?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: What's with the test-patches volunteers?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 15:06:00 +0200

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 07:17:06AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > It is close to two months that I have been the only person running
>> > test-patches, even though several volunteers claimed they would do so.
>> > It has been the main reason I shelled out €20 for a week of internet
>> > access during my spring vacation.
>>
>> And to add insult to injury, people don't even run "make check" on
>> submitted patches even if they are _supposed_ to change the typeset
>> result.
>
> I agree.  Given your limited computing power, you are the very
> last person who should be running Patchy.

It is not just my computing resources that make me unsuitable.  If you
check up on
<URL:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel/46346>,
you'll see that I am also damaging the project by alienating new
contributors.  I quote:

        For me it sounds like blaming me that I'm a beginner developer
        on Lilypond project, so my work isn't as optimized as it should
        be. It's not nice for me, really, and it doesn't encourage me to
        submit my patches either.

So in order to stop damaging the project, I will stop doing any reviews
except on patches of myself: I am getting paid for work on LilyPond, and
it would not be conscionable for me to forego those parts of general
work required to let my own work go forward.

> If there are any new contributors who want to get reviews, they will
> be turned away disappointed.

They are already turning away disappointed because of having gotten
reviews, so there is no change in that department.

> PS if you want to run Patchy on your own patches, then by all
> means do so.  But please refuse to check other people's patches,
> no matter how urgent the bug or how much the contributor pleads
> for reviews.

I see you are thinking ahead of me again.