Re: Lilypond patchy and other Lilypond problems

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Lilypond patchy and other Lilypond problems
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 09:30:45 +0100

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 10:13:50AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> In fact, if you have to
> do half a dozen of iterations before getting things actually right on
> the somewhat more than superficial level provided by our tests, you'll
> have gained lots of good Karma on the road.

I was thinking that each patch would generate its own karam, so
each of those uploads that failed the tests would be -2 karma (or
whatever the figure is), with only the final upload giving a +1.

It's true that multiple rounds of "patch, reviewer comment, patch,
reviewer comment" could potentially generate a karma windfall...
but hey, since it's not like people can buy anything with karma,
and as long as there's multiple rounds of not-automatic-failing
patches, I'm fine with that.

> We need more human feedback.

All my years of observing lilypond development suggests that
saying "we need xyz" is a recipe for nothing happening.

But hey, I'm not totally wedded to the idea of tracking karma, so
meh.  As long as I'm not personally playing nursemaid for people
who don't run the basic tests, I don't mind if the patch-tester(s)
want to keep on warning about flawed patches.