Re: assistant release manger

From: James
Subject: Re: assistant release manger
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 11:46:25 +0100

Hello,

On 28 April 2012 10:59, Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival"
> <address@hidden>

Check.

>> - can already compile GUB from scratch

No.

>> - is well known to lilypond developers (say, at least 1 year of
>>  lilypond development)

Check.

>> - familiar with ssh, unix shell scripts, and python scripts

Define 'familiar', I can understand and can read all of the above
(have done little personally with ssh but know what it is etc.) but I
don't have the chops to write scripts or create/edit the 'routines' if
needed.

>> If you are a candidate but feel that you are too busy working on
>> other lilypond stuff, then find&train a replacement for that stuff
>> over the next few weeks so you can do releases.
>>
>> - Graham

> I guess I could do this.  I would want to hand over bug duties - but Colin H
> is well-placed to take over as Meister and we would just need a volunteer
> for Sunday.  I would want to schedule my work so that it could generally be
> done on a Sunday.
>
> James is the other obvious possibility, but I think he's already pretty
> busy.

It's not so much that, all these offers of 'university computers'
could easily be set up to run patchy-merge-staging. Patchy-test while
very important doesn't take too much of my LP time (I can run it in
the background whenever I am at my computer), so that doesn't bother
me doing that at all, it's more a case of LP doc work not getting done
:)

It's all fascinating stuff to me, so I don't mind poking with GUB but
I am not sure if it is the best use of my time considering what I can
do now (i.e. doc and bug squad) and what might drop if I moved to
other work. Also are there other tasks (i.e. website building) that
might be less of a learning curve for me (take extra work off of
Graham) that might be better for me to start to tackle. Either way I
don't mind what I end up doing - technical skill-set accepted.

Being 'overwhelmed' isn't anything I ever worry about, there's always
lots to do but only a finite amount of time to do it in.

James