Re: make doc and make all

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: make doc and make all
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 16:13:11 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: "Devel Team" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 11:52 AM
Subject: make doc and make all

Hey all,

I'm for the first time doing semi-complicated doc work w/ the website thing and discovering a bit about the build system in the process. I learned today that `make doc' does not automatically `make all' if there are files that have been touched. Would it be a good idea to roll a make all into make doc? It'd add no more than 10 seconds onto a doc build if nothing in scm/ ps/ mf/ lily/ ps/ /ly has changed (perhaps I'm forgetting a few directories) and would automatically do any necessary compilation if these things have changed. I can't think of a reason that, when launching make doc, someone would not want to be working from the current binary. If this seems like a smart automation, let me know.

Personally I'd prefer that make doc didn't include make - it may only take a little time, but if you've only changed the docs, why would you want all the binary stuff rechecked?

--
Phil Holmes