Re: Substitute for s1*0

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Substitute for s1*0
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 17:05:52 +0000 (UTC)

Graham Percival <graham <at> percival-music.ca> writes:

> > James <pkx166h <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > Evidence? 'skip' is exactly what it says on the tin.

Oops. I thought 's' stood for "skip", but it stands for "spacer rest".

Chords are covered in the Learning Manual, though empty chords are not,
yet.  Neither spacer rests nor *m/n are covered in the Learning Manual.
That would have been reasonable evidence.  Less reasonable evidence is
that I remember the syntax for chords, but seem to have forgotten the
difference between spacer rests and skips.

> Please stop the straw-men.  Nobody thinks that s1*0 is the best
> method of indicating a non-duration post-event.

Well, a straw man is a point that can be easily won, improperly
substituted for the point that logically needs to be won.

The proposal was to shift from s1*0 to <> in the examples. Whether <> is
a better example than s1*0, seems to be the relevant question, not straw.

Is there a working example with any third solution?