Re: I'd like to help and solve <> misunderstanding - if i can...

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: I'd like to help and solve <> misunderstanding - if i can...
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 10:47:47 +0200

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:21 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>> Meanwhile other people expressed their concerns about how it looks
>> like, the /syntax/ (user interface, not technical details).
>
> Here is when the syntax and user interface were established:
> <URL:http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2003-08/msg00133.html>
>
> But guess who is burnt at the stake for it right now.

To me it doesn't look like anyone is blaming you for the chord syntax.
 James said that he doesn't like it, but in my opinion this wasn't
aimed at you.  I think you took his message (the one about "someone
who doesn't code") too personally; it seemed rather to be a general
statement about how LilyPond frustrates him sometimes.

>> From what i see, this is the problem: some of you argue about two
>> different things, treating them as if they were one issue.
>
> Differentiating inseparable things is a bit academic and will not win
> you much loving.

I don't say that we should separate inseparable things.
My impression was that some statements which were orthogonal to each
other (sorry for a technical word, but i don't know how to explain it
better) were interpreted as counter-arguments and/or attacks on the
other person's views.

>> Everyone loses :(
>> Please, consider rethinking this situation.
>
> Rethinking this situation is the reason I have hardly slept for two
> nights.  I doubt this being helpful.

I am sorry that you've hardly slept and that this problem touched you so much.

>> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 9:54 PM, James <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> If this were some obscure change that 'most' LP users didn't use - '#{
>>> ... #}' seemed to get everyone really excited for instance, I just
>>> shrugged, I've never used it, don't even know why I would or if I
>>> could or when I shoul. Or maybe I have but didn't know it?
>>
>> If i understand correctly, everyone uses Scheme functions all the
>> time: when you \transpose, you use a Scheme function.  \relative is
>> also a Scheme function.  There is lots of Scheme wrapped nicely in
>> commands starting with backslashes.
>> When the #{ ... #} change was made, i didn't see any change in my Lily
>> workflow, too.  I still don't know what exactly that change meant (i'd
>> like to learn this some day, though).
>
> It means that the non-programmer types can escape from having to use
> Scheme almost everywhere.  Instead of having to write
> (ly:make-pitch 2 3 1/2) in Scheme code (and music functions are Scheme),
> they can write #{ fis''' #}.

Thank you for explaining this for me.  Until now i thought that it
already worked like this...  You can see that i'm quite ignorant in
this area :(  I didn't realize how many things need fixing; i took for
granted that everything works mostly fine.  This may be the reason why
i didn't appreciate your work enough: i didn't understand it.

> Check out the enthusiastic reviews for this one:
> <URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2286>
> <URL:http://codereview.appspot.com/5633043>

I am sorry that i didn't manage to review your patch.

> Of course, not everything is apathy.  If I get feedback, it is commonly
> in the form of
> <URL:http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-12/msg00247.html>
> or similar.

I'm sorry :(

> Finch's landing all over.  Which reminds me: "To Kill a Mockingbird" is
> definitely very good reading, and not just because Groklaw and lawsuits
> have recently becoming much more ubiquitous.

Sorry, but i don't understand what you mean, perhaps because i didn't
read that book.

Janek