Re: Substitute for s1*0

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Substitute for s1*0
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 15:59:50 +0200

Francisco Vila <address@hidden> writes:

> 2012/5/9 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>> I don't presume to understand humans: I have been diagnosed with
>> personality disorders also connected with a lack of empathy.
>
> At this point I need to express something that makes the previous
> paragraph sound better. [Just like many other free software
> contributors] you are a hard worker with powerful capabilities,

Actually, part of that disorder is that I can't help running away from
hard work.  The only things I manage to accomplish are things that I can
do without seriously trying.  I have been the playpal of computers for
much of the time they have been worth talking to, and thus I can do a
whole lot without seriously trying.  Pavel sends me the assembly output
for some miscompiled code from GCC, and I pinpoint the problem within 10
minutes, in assembly code for a processor architecture I don't know.

That's magic.  What you don't see is that Pavel takes the problematic
file, and compiles it with all possible optimization options, whittling
the problem down to one option.  And he takes the file, and whittles it
down to a minimal example with a few dozen lines that the GCC developers
can analyze, and fix the bug.

That's two days of diligent grunt work.  Not magic.  Anybody could do
it.  Except me.  It would take me several weeks of procrastination.  If
I managed to bring myself to it at all.

I have capabilities far above average concerning analytical skills, but
since I can't help shying away from hard work, the quality and quantity
of my productivity is hard to predict.  Particularly for myself.

> and you put your skills at the community's service.

More like I use my skills for changing something from lower to higher
quality of workmanship and usefulness.  You see how much luck I have
serving a community.  There is always the looming danger that I destroy
more of it than I help support.

And part of the problem is that I don't grok humans.  Including myself,
by the way.  But while I am staying on ship, I try paying for my
passage.  And with LilyPond, so far it more or less worked out.