Re: discrete slurs and ties

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: discrete slurs and ties
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 12:16:10 +0200 (CEST)

>> Frankly, I don't see the point in simulating well-craftedness by
>> artificially introducing minor deficiencies associated with some of
>> the better work.
>
> @Werner: i could live with an *option* doing this, but i doubt that
> people are interested in writing it.  And i think we have much,
> much, much more important stuff to work on.

I think I was still unclear, since you both missed my point.  The
engraver's main deficiencies IMHO were imprecise positioning of the
stamped beams.  But using stamps instead of hand-cutting such small
slurs and ties was an *intentional* decision.  Lilypond already does a
good job, as the attached image shows, but there might be cases where
this isn't so, and adding some discreteness might improve the visual
results.  I fully agree that this isn't important at all currently.

BTW, restricting lilypond to discrete tie and slur shapes below a
given threshold should actually simplify the layout process since the
number of positioning choices gets reduced.

>> We don't make slightly eroded staff lines copying the wear and tear
>> on the tools of particularly renowned publishers, either.

Well, to be honest, this is debatable.  There is something similar in
the typography: ITC Founder's Caslon

http://www.fonts.com/NR/rdonlyres/925BEFBB-34EE-4D67-94A6-9B018A02F313/0/FoundersCaslon.pdf

With some background here (describing another revival of Caslon):

http://ilovetypography.com/2010/07/26/reviving-caslon-the-snare-of-authenticity/

(And no, such an effect is not what I'm asking to implement :-)

    Werner

PNG image