Re: Extent of automatic beams?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Extent of automatic beams?
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 05:51:06 +0200

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 25 mai 2012, at 19:19, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> I am currently rewriting footnote documentation, and I got the somewhat
>> embarrassing screenshot
>>
>> <autobeam.png>
>> It would appear that the dimensions of the Beam grob are located at the
>> note where LilyPond _decides_ where to end the beam, not where the beam
>> then actually ends.
>>
>> Anybody have a suggestion what might be at work here?  For what it is
>> worth, this should pretty much be the behavior of the old
>> \footnoteAutoGrob or whatever else it was called, too.
>>
>> Manually entered beams seem unproblematic in comparison.
>
> Hey David,
>
> Has it always been like this? Is it a regression? If so, do you know
> the commit that regressed it?
> I can figure it out, but if you already have that info, it'll speed me
> up a lot.  Otherwise, I can do some snooping.

I don't have this info (not have tried with that).  I see that the
footnote code meddles with spanner extents by querying
currentMusicalColumn which for automatic beams would seem like a pretty
bad idea (the musical column for ending the automatic beam being quite
to the right).  However, it appeared to me like disabling this code
(left and right) would not actually change anything, so either I did
something wrong when testing, or the code is not actually triggered or
not involved.