Re: Lilypond miscompiled on Fedora 17

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Lilypond miscompiled on Fedora 17
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 00:12:41 +0100

On Sat, Jun 09, 2012 at 07:55:30PM -0300, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I've been fairly clear: every release says either
> >  "It is strongly recommended that normal users do not use this
> >  release, and instead use the stable 2.14 version."
>
> I don't understand the stern warnings that you accompany the devel
> releases with. AFAICS, they are almost all eminently usable.

I don't want somebody unfamiliar with open-source software saying
"oh wow, 2.15.13!  that's higher than 2.14.2, so I'd better try
that out!", run convert-ly, then discover that there's serious
bugs and be stuck having to manually un-convert-ly their scores.

It's happened before.  (not with 2.15.3 specifically though)

One of the underlying designs of the current release process
(probably changing in a few weeks) is that as soon as we have good
evidence that version x.y is better for all uses than the previous
stable version, we have a new stable version.  In other words, an
unstable version by definition does not have evidence that it's
reliable enough for production use.

I'm trying to protect casual users.  People "in the know" can make
up their own minds about whether they try unstable versions or
not.