Re: Deletes logfiles in build dir with make clean (issue 6300079)

From: john . mandereau
Subject: Re: Deletes logfiles in build dir with make clean (issue 6300079)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 12:30:59 +0000

I'm not certain cleaning the build tree should include log files
cleaning, when a simple
"find -name '*.log' |xargs rm -f"
does the job.  However, if this is a very popular request, then you may
want to read a few comments.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6300079/diff/1/GNUmakefile.in
File GNUmakefile.in (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/6300079/diff/1/GNUmakefile.in#newcode340
GNUmakefile.in:340: find . -name "*.log" -delete
I think something like "rm -f *test*.log" is enough here, we don't ask
for removing all "*.log" files of build tree by making test-clean, do
we?

http://codereview.appspot.com/6300079/diff/1/stepmake/stepmake/generic-targets.make
File stepmake/stepmake/generic-targets.make (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/6300079/diff/1/stepmake/stepmake/generic-targets.make#newcode16
stepmake/stepmake/generic-targets.make:16: find . -name "*.log" -delete
make already recurses into subdirectories, so using find is superfluous,
"rm -f *.log" is enough.  Moreover, this would better go above $(LOOP)
to preserve the logic of cleaning a directory *then* its subdirectories.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6300079/diff/1/stepmake/stepmake/generic-targets.make#newcode209
stepmake/stepmake/generic-targets.make:209: find . -name "*.log" -delete
This line is superfluous, as "$(MAKE) out=www clean" already executes
actions specified in "clean" target.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6300079/