Re: GOP2-4 - C++ and scheme indentation (probable decision)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GOP2-4 - C++ and scheme indentation (probable decision)
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 11:45:47 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

> Graham Percival writes:
>
> We do not use tabs for indentation in source code.  Because this is an
> additional requirement that would mess-up the indentation of most other
> GNU projects, we will add a .dir-locals.el file holding
>
>          ((nil . ((indent-tabs-mode . t))))
>                   (fill-column . 80)))
>
> to all directories that
> hold source code, notably lily/, flower/, scm/ and python/*.

AFAIR, directory variables hold recursively, so we just need them in the
top directory.  indent-tabs-mode should be nil rather than t,
fill-column should match the desired fill-column (I think we have some
value recommended for Texinfo, but not much else).

Fiddling with things like indent-tabs-mode and fill-column should be
_strictly_ constrained to the file modes for the various kinds of source
file LilyPond supports.

I don't want Emacs inside of LilyPond directories to mess with tabs in
image files, tar files, directory listings, Makefiles and similar.