Re: GOP2-4: add script for batch indenting Scheme files (issue 6450162)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GOP2-4: add script for batch indenting Scheme files (issue 6450162)
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 12:49:44 +0200

John Mandereau <address@hidden> writes:

> Il giorno lun, 20/08/2012 alle 10.11 +0000, address@hidden ha scritto:
>> http://codereview.appspot.com/6450162/diff/1/scripts/auxiliar/fixscm.sh
>> File scripts/auxiliar/fixscm.sh (right):
>>
>> http://codereview.appspot.com/6450162/diff/1/scripts/auxiliar/fixscm.sh#newcode15
>> scripts/auxiliar/fixscm.sh:15: emacs -batch "$@" --eval
>> "${elisp_expression}"
>> Can you verify that emacs -batch indeed obeys directory-local variables?
>

>>   Otherwise the above info is quite off
>
> This info is off whether Emacs -batch obeys dir-local variables or not:
> from your comment on -devel the directory-local settings you propose
> (indent-tabs-mode in scheme-mode) is not used by this script.  I'm
> resending a patch.

Sigh.  I have _never_ been proposing indent-tabs-mode in scheme-mode,
and most certainly my patch proposal was _quite_ the opposite, with the
_opposite_ effect.

Please don't further spread that myth.

It is not my fault that the Emacs-written Lisp print form of
(indent-tabs-mode . nil) happens to be (indent-tabs-mode).

Yes, it looks like calling a function indent-tabs-mode in that _quoted_
alist.  Emacs has no such function or minor mode.  It only has the
imprudently named _variable_ indent-tabs-mode which is set to _nil_
(!!!!) when the form written out by _Emacs_ into the .dir-locals.el file
is later interpreted as an alist.  Emacs wrote that as a result of using
M-x add-dir-local-variable RET.