Re: preliminary GLISS discussions

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: preliminary GLISS discussions
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 10:40:14 +0200

David Kastrup writes:

>> Ah, I was unclear.  Right.  LilyPond stands out /together/ with Perl in
>> unreadability; these are the only two languages I know that can have
>> functions look like statements.
>
> Hm?  Scheme, C, C++, awk, Lua...

                C           Perl      Ly
  postfix:   foo.bar      foo->bar   a\staccato
  function:  foo.baz ()   foo->baz   \relative a

Consider this valid .ly file

    \new Staff {
      \relative \ff a \staccato b \pp \parenthesize \skip 1
    }
    % INVALID, can you guess why?
    %\new Staff {
    %  \relative a \ff \staccato b \pp \parenthesize \skip 1
    %}
    \new Staff {
      \relative c \ff a \staccato b \pp \parenthesize \skip 1
    }
    \new Staff {
      \relative c \parenthesize a \staccato b \pp \parenthesize \skip 1
    }
    \new Staff {
      \relative c-\ff a \staccato b \pp \parenthesize \skip 1
    }
    \new Staff {
      \relative c c \ff a \staccato b \pp \parenthesize \skip 1
    }

quite hard to guess what will be produced.  For example, why is the
third stave's a one octave lower?

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl