Re: wrong beam positions in LilyPond

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: wrong beam positions in LilyPond
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 11:50:00 -0300

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> wrote:

> Yep, i got it working, too.  I was just looking for an explanation of
> symbols used.
>
> From what i see in beam-quanting.cc,
> L means penalty for too short/too long stems,
> H is a penalty for horizontal beams not covering staff lines,
> Si is a penalty for slope being different than ideal,
> Sm is a penalty for sloping the beam in different direction than notes.
>
> but i don't understand what these mean:
> Sd

These are penalties if slope sign is incorrect (eg. beam goes up, but
the ideal is to be horizontal).

Forbidden quants.  For 16th and higher beams, the secondary beams can
also not be in between staff lines.

Collisions with other objects.

> Also, basically every beam "score" has something like c1/* , e.g.
> c1/196. c1/256.  I didn't find anything about these in beam-quanting,
> can you help?

See Beam_scoring_problem::solve(); the first number is the index of
the chosen solution, the second the number of candidates.