Re: Finding Century fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Finding Century fonts
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 07:07:10 +0200 (CEST)

> Did you (or someone) figure out why this is happening? I recently
> upgraded to Lilypond 2.16, and get exactly the same problem. The text
> font is set to Bitstream Vera Sans instead of Century Schoolbook.

> Emmenthaler is found just fine, even though it is in the same folder
> as Century.

The lilypond binary explicitly adds the folder which contains the
Emmentaler fonts to the search path of fontconfig.  However, for
normal text handling, control is given to the Pango library which in
turn calls another instance of fontconfig, not knowing what the
lilypond binary has done.  In other words: Either install the Century
fonts at a place where fontconfig is looking by default (for example,
in your local ~/.fonts directory), or globally modify fontconfig's
configuration file (e.g. /etc/fonts/local.conf) to add the directory
with the Century fonts.

At least this is my theory as a non-Mac user.  I have no idea whether
`~/.fonts' and `/etc/fonts/local.conf' have the same name and location
on a Mac.  And I also have no idea how to fix this in the lilypond
distribution so that such manual actions become unnecessary.

    Werner