Re: [GLISS] why the hell all this fuss

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: [GLISS] why the hell all this fuss
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 16:39:35 +0200

On 06/09/2012 10:05, David Kastrup wrote:
> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>> That's more like it, but i'm not totally sure.
>> What i think of is a general way of attaching objects to another
>> objects.  For example '&' would attach objects:
>> <c e g>\arpeggio&\<  meaning  a hairpin attached to arpeggio
>> g\fermata&\markup \italic {10 seconds}  meaning  a "10 seconds" markup
>> attached to the fermata.
> You are thinking in ways of PDF.  LilyPond is meant for expressing
> music.  If we build in syntax like that, it should carry musical
> meaning, not just create pretty images.  How do you "attach" things like
> that to MIDI or MusicXML?

That argument also holds for \markup, yet we have the \markup command as
an integral part of lilypond. Just because one concept does not have any
correspondence e.g. in MIDI, this doesn't mean that we should not
provide a way to use it in output formats where it makes sense...

Cheers,
Reinhold

Reinhold Kainhofer, address@hidden, http://www.kainhofer.com
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886