Re: change defaults for dot spacing in repeat sign to accommodate tab st

From: Benkő Pál
Subject: Re: change defaults for dot spacing in repeat sign to accommodate tab staves (issue 6488097)
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 09:22:43 +0200

2012/9/9 Keith OHara <address@hidden>:
> On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 15:26:21 -0700, <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> do we want to support
>> - NR 2.5.1 style 2-line percussion staves (setting both line-count and
>> staff-space to 2 instead of setting just line-positions to (-2 2))?
>> - default TabStaff's (even line-count, 1.5 staff-space)?
>>
>> if we want to support both of those without changing dot size,
>> calculations cannot be based on line-positions only, staff-space must be
>> considered.
>
> I suggest you consider both the gaps between line-positions (prefer gap of 2
> staff-positions)
> and the full range of line-positions (prefer to have repeat dots within the
> staff)

I can see two possibilities:
1. special casing two-line staves.
   simple but will fail for staves with a big space in the middle but
otherwise dense.
2. implement a more complicated algorithm.
   the current one looks for a good place
   - starting from the centre
   - going up and down strictly synchronised
   - stopping at the first convenient point.
   instead we can try
   - starting from the outside
   - going inwards very loosely synchronised
   - scoring several paths
   - choosing the best.
   smells like a huge can of worms.

> If someone writes tablature and wants a staff-space = 2 for some reason, he
> probably want the repeat dots in their usual positions. (His choice on
> whether to also increase the dot size.)

is dot size customizable currently?  if so, we must include some regtests.

> If someone writes 2-line percussion somewhat more narrow, he will probably
> want the repeat dots inside the staff.

I still lean towards special casing 2-line staves.