Re: simplify previous patch-set by special casing 2-line staves (issue 6

From: benko . pal
Subject: Re: simplify previous patch-set by special casing 2-line staves (issue 6506090)
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 10:11:28 +0000

On 2012/09/14 06:53:47, Keith wrote:
On 2012/09/14 06:16:57, benko.pal wrote:
> main argument: I can't guess why the user chose a
> specific way of manipulating the staff and how (s)he
> interprets it,

If the user writes
> \override #'staff-space = #0.5
he wants to scale things.

If he writes
> \override #'line-positions = #'(-2 -1 0 1 2)
he wants to re-arrange things

perhaps yes, perhaps not (using different weird microtonal thingies).
in this comparison the relevant thing is whether he wants different
repeat signs.  note that, unfortunately, LilyPond has several scaling
possibilities, enabling the user to scale some and not other things.  if
everything (dots included) is scaled, the code under review will do the
right thing; if some is not, then divining the intent is not so easy.

to me the repeat sign is a purely engraving matter.  making it depend on
the musical meaning of the staff is just making it more fragile.
if we want repeat signs in a TabStaff look as requested, then I want
every repeat sign (with identical dot size) in an identically looking
staff (regardless how it's achieved by mixing line-positions,
set-global-staff-size, layout-set-staff-size, line-count, staff-space)
look identical.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6506090/