Re: [GLISS] expressing "sustained arpeggios"

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: [GLISS] expressing "sustained arpeggios"
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 14:55:04 +0200

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> wrote:
> What's your opinion?  How would you do this?  Maybe there's no need
> for new syntax constructs?

To be more credible, here is my try at doing this with a music function:

sust =
#(define-music-function (parser location note rhythm lasts music)
  (ly:pitch? ly:duration? ly:duration? ly:music?)
  #{ <<
      \mergeDifferentlyDottedOn
      { \voiceOne $note $rhythm $music }
      \new Voice { \voiceTwo $note $lasts }
  >> #})

\new Staff {
   \sust f' 16 4 \sust g' 16 8. \sust a'16 8 b'16
}

Hmm.  Is it only my impression, or had music functions became easier to write?

Anyway, this is quite concise.  However, voice "direction" is
hardcoded... probably this could be changed?
Also, without explicit Staff the output is crazy.  No idea whether
this is easy to fix.

cheers,
Janek