Re: Syntactical question [was: Re: Call for help with bar lines]

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Syntactical question [was: Re: Call for help with bar lines]
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 11:08:15 +0200

2012/9/27 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Marc Hohl <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I have to make a distinction between
>> "" and '() in the new bar line interface.
>>
>> What do you think would be better: using a symbol instead of '(),
>> so one can write
>>
>> \defineBarLine "|" "|" 'none "|"
>>
>> or using #f instead:
>>
>> \defineBarLine "|" "|" #f "|"
>>
>> or finally defining an "empty stencil" glyph:
>>
>> \defineBarLine "|" "|" "x" "|"
>
> For me #f is definitely the most intuitive.

+1

2012/9/27 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:

> What do we need a zero width stencil for?

Silly answer, to get the regtests correct. :)

More serious, a zero width stencil will be considered during spacing.
Look at the output of the following 2.16.-example. If you switch
between \bar "empty" and \bar "", they differ at line-end and
line-begin.

\new Staff
\relative c'' {
        \cadenzaOn
        \repeat unfold 50 { c8 }
        \bar ""
        % \bar "empty"
        \break
        \repeat unfold 50 { c8 }
        \bar ""
        % \bar "empty"
        \cadenzaOff
}

At least the zero width stencil from \bar "" is more convincing for my eyes.
For me the question is more: Why keep \bar "empty"?
I never used it. Will have to do some research.

-Harm