Re: Project - Eliminating grob parents and outside-staff-priority

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Project - Eliminating grob parents and outside-staff-priority
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 14:26:43 +0200

On 30 sept. 2012, at 14:16, Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> interesting discussion, i learn a lot.
>
> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 11:39 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Basically, a grob says "I want to have this and that information for
>> making my positioning" and LilyPond says "You can't get it right now".
>> Then the grob says "ok, I'll do a tentative positioning", and LilyPond
>> will come back with more information later and ask again.
>
> I have no idea whether there are any not-very-experienced developers
> (or users) following this thread, but if they are, i'm sure this is a
> very nice and helpful explanation for them :)
>
> cheers,
> Janek

Just to clarify things for anyone following the thread: this is not currently
how LilyPond works, but I'm assuming what you're proposing is a suggestion for
a model.

It's an interesting idea for grobs to ping a sort of central hive ("LilyPond"
in your text above) to know what information they can access and when.  This'd
require a major change to the architecture - currently, grobs specify in their
request whether they want tentative or permanent information via the use of
functions like Grob::pure_relative_y_coordinate versus
Grob::relative_coordinate.  I'm worried about having a sort of centralized
brain that tells grobs what they can and can't know - sounds Kafka-esque.  I
like the decentralized model where grobs, via their callbacks, self-police for
what information they need from other grobs and when it's ok to get it.

Cheers,
MS