Re: Patch-testing-problem

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Patch-testing-problem
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 17:06:12 +0200

2012/9/30 James <address@hidden>:
> Thomas,
>
> On 30 September 2012 15:16, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> "patch does not apply" means that the code you have as a starting point is
>>> significantly different from the starting point of the patch.
>>>
>>> Phil ran an LSR update recently, which changes Documentation/snippets/*
>>> Marc's patch also changes many of those same files.  Phil's  LSR update was
>>> in commit 5c42908f1c8d0a5c1d88851a2d793ca55476612c so you can go back to the
>>> state just before,
>>>        git checkout 5c42908f^
>>> and then apply Marc's patch.
>>>
>>> Marc will probably rebase his patch pretty soon and repost it so that the
>>> diff applies to the codebase after the LSR update.

>> Hi Keith,
>>
>> thanks for your advice.
>> After
>>   git checkout 5c42908f^
>> I ran `make' and `make test-baseline' and was able to apply Marc's
>> patch successfully. :)
>> After doing that I ran a new `make'.
>>
>> And a new error arises after trying to do `make check'
>>
>> Terminal returns:
>>
>>  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>> [ ... ]
>> Child returned 1
>> Error ignored by lilylib
>> Error trapped by lilypond-book
>>
>> Please see
>> /home/harm/lilypond-git/build/out/lybook-testdb/snippet-names--154320194.log
>>
>> make[2]: *** [out-test/collated-files.texi] Error 1
>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/harm/lilypond-git/build/input/regression'
>> make[1]: *** [local-test] Error 2
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/harm/lilypond-git/build/input/regression'
>> make: *** [test] Error 2
>> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>>
>> Looking at:
>>  /home/harm/lilypond-git/build/out/lybook-testdb/snippet-names--154320194.log
>>
>> The file contains nothing else than:
>> GNU LilyPond 2.17.4
>>

>> Obviously I did sth wrong and again I've no clue what and how to proceed.
>
> Why do you think you did something wrong?

Well, I'm still a newbie with this kind of tasks.
If sth crashes my first thought is, damn, what did _I_ wrong.

> That was exactly what I got when I tested the patch originally.
>
> You need to find the problem of why it failed to compile.
>
> See
>
> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2790#c33
>
> Did you get the same problem?

I couldn't comprehend your own work.
But after typing 'make check' the first two lines the terminal returns are:

For tracking crashes: use

        grep sourcefilename `grep -L systems.texi
out/lybook-testdb/*/*log|sed s/log/ly/g`

Trying to enter this (in the build-directory) returns:
\sourcefilename
"/home/harm/lilypond-git/input/regression/instrument-name-volta.ly"

This is exactly the file Marc mentioned here:
http://codereview.appspot.com/6498052/#msg13

>> Do you have another hint?
>>
>> Sorry, to ask again and again stupid questions, but on my own, I can
>> see only two alternatives:
>> Deleting all /Documantation/snippets from the patch and then apply it
>> to current master or to stop any reviewing work as far as
>> /Documentation/snippets are concerned in any way.
>
> I don't really understand this, I assume you mean just to troubleshoot
> yourself on your own local git.

Yes! Take the other statements more as an expression of my frustration
not beeing able to solve the occuring problems on my own.

Regards,
  Harm