Re: [proposal] easy triplets and tuplets - was [talk] easy tuplets

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: [proposal] easy triplets and tuplets - was [talk] easy tuplets
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 16:33:59 +0200

On 10/05/2012 09:31 AM, Keith OHara wrote:
It is easier to keep the order straight if you write a 5:4 tuplet
as \tuplet 5/4 {}

Is there any reason why you couldn't write \tuplet 5:4 {} ... ? Keeps exact match between musical and Lilypond syntax and avoids the potential mental block of having an identical but inverted notation for \tuplet and \times.

We have to invert the tuplet indication when we use \scaleDurations 4/5 {}
(such as to print tuplets without brackets) but the word 'Duration' helps
us remember we are specifying the duration of notes, not number of notes.

Isn't this a case where you might want \tuplet* and \times* functions to put in place the same effect but with no number/ratio/bracket printed? (The function name might need to be different -- I'm just using it here by analogy to LaTeX' \section and \section* commands to create titles with and without a number.)