Re: Naming _another_ lacking puzzle piece

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Naming _another_ lacking puzzle piece
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 00:12:47 +0200

On 2012-10-13 23:29, David Kastrup wrote:
>If you are referring to Werner's and Reinhold's comments, I think you
>may not be reading them as the authors intended. In particular, I
>believe that Reinhold was merely objecting to the names "push" and
>"pop" as being opaque to non-programmers,
     To me it is not only this inconsitency, but rather that the names
     push/pop come from programming languages and concepts.
     Lately, I have seen many suggestions that would turn lilypond more
                                                                  ^^^^^
     into a programming language and away from being a description of
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     music. Now, while lilypond really is a programming language, in the
     past we have tried to hide the concepts (e.g. queue theory) from the
     user, with more or less success.

     David's attempts to get rid of the #' in propery names is a great step
     in this direction, but using push/pop would be a huge step in the
     wrong direction, IMO.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough in that last sentence. It would have been clearer if I wrote
 ... but using the names "push" and "pop" ...

The thing about programming languages was intended to give a larger picture why I don't like pure programming concepts introduced to lilypond users, and using the names "push" and "pop" introduces stack concepts to the users, rather than providing a user-friendly (i.e. musician-friendly, not programmer-friendly) high-level API to the users.

Cheers,
Reinhold

Reinhold Kainhofer, address@hidden, http://www.kainhofer.com
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886