Filled with enthusiasm for Lilypond

From: Joram Berger
Subject: Filled with enthusiasm for Lilypond
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 23:16:54 +0200

Dear Lilypond developers,

I joined this list to thank you all for your amazing work!

In 2002, I was searching for a free music typesetting program. From the
first moment, when I found Lilypond I liked how Lilypond cares about
beautiful scores and how well thought the basic syntax is. Since then
I've made quite some ly-scores and I appreciate very much how actively
it is developed and how much you care about every detail.

I'm currently using it for every music I write down, especially four our
local choir (Ars Antiqua, http://arsantiqua-karlsruhe.de/impressum).
Here I have a customized tagline pointing to Lilypond and I still hope
that others will find it useful.

Having used Lilypond for quite some years I can testify that it
underwent a great evolution (with a lot of work from you). I joined this
mailing list 1) in order to tell you that you are doing a great job
(it's nice to see how people care about beautiful notation on the users
list and here) 2) to add some ideas from a user point of view.
Even though I know and use C++ and python, I never looked into the
details of the implementation (scheme scared me too much). But as I am
teaching how to use Lilypond to music students, I see some spots where
they have difficulties - and perhaps something can be improved during
GLISS (examples will follow). And I hope it can become more widespread.

Keep up the good work!
Cheers,
Joram