Re: adds documentation for the new bar line interface (issue 6742061)

From: marc
Subject: Re: adds documentation for the new bar line interface (issue 6742061)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 16:33:23 +0000

On 2012/10/23 09:03:32, J_lowe wrote:
Mark,

Nearly there.

Hey, sounds prominsing ;-)

Some more general comments - some are Doc Policy, some are my own
views on how
to organize this section, also can you make sure you use two spaces
after a full
point (full stop) as this is also the CG policy (even if it does go
against
every grain in my typographically-based bones!).

James

https://codereview.appspot.com/6742061/diff/8001/Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely
File Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/6742061/diff/8001/Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely#newcode2693
Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely:2693: Further details of this
notation are
explained in @ref{Typesetting Kievan square notation}.
Make sure you only use max 72 chars per line and dont break @ref{...}
over two
lines

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/contributor/syntax-survey#cross-references

Causes problems in texinfo output

Ok.

https://codereview.appspot.com/6742061/diff/8001/Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely#newcode2780
Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely:2780: \defineBarLine
@var{bartype}
#'(@var{bar-line-at-end-of-line} @var{bar-line-at-begin-of-line}
@var{span-bar-line})
You probably aught to shorten the variable names for the doc (even if
the
function names internally are called this, most users don't care and
you always
have the @ref{} under the @seealso  at the end of the section to link
to the ly:
file for those that are really curious.

@var{type} @var{end} @var{begin} @var{span} else if you do end up
going over 72
chars, break and indent the line as you would a lilypond example.

Makes it clearer for readers.

Ok, will do.

https://codereview.appspot.com/6742061/diff/8001/Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely#newcode2784
Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely:2784: @samp{\bar "bartype"}.
Use @code{\bar} @var{bartype}

Ok. I found examples where @samp is used in similar circumstances,
but I trust you on this.

https://codereview.appspot.com/6742061/diff/8001/Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely#newcode2792
Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely:2792: bar line.
Move the Para above the previous (just after the @example).

The @code{\defineBarline} variables can include the @q{empty} string
@code{""},
which is equivalent to an invisible bar line being printed.  Or they
can be set
to @code{#f} which prints no bar line at all.

--

The implication being that an invisible bar line uses normal
padding/spacing.

https://codereview.appspot.com/6742061/diff/8001/Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely#newcode2822
Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely:2822: s1 \bar "]" \mark \markup {
\typewriter "]" }
I am guessing that \typewriter is used here to prevent century
schoolbook and so
make the characters more obvious, however there is no need if you use
the normal
@lilypond[verbatim, quote etc.] as this *is* printed in 'typewriter'
font in the
doc (and is why we do this), so you can rmeove all the \mark \markup {
} from
this if you use the correct @lilypond variables.

I used typewriter and did not use verbatim, because I have to
define several bar lines which clutters the output IMHO.

But in combination with the proposed reordering, it may make more
sense.

Also, could we move this whole @lilypond section right up to  the
(almost)
start, under the para

'After the definiton, the new bar line can be used by @samp{\bar
"bartype"}.'

---

That way we get right to the point and then can do the detail
afterwards, so to
speak. It's not complicated to understand and so the finer points can
be
explained as the reader reads through.

https://codereview.appspot.com/6742061/diff/8001/Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely#newcode2828
Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely:2828: combination with the segno
sign. It
is not recommended for use as
could we have a short reason it is not recommended? Else I always just
say 'Do
not use ....'. I prefer to be led than given choice if it's that
subtle or there
is no explanation on why I might not 'prefer' to do something.

The reason is that the "=" is spaced according to the width of
the "S" sign; if you use this as a normal bar line, the internal
spacing in combination with the bar line padding looks way too ugly.

But I see your point: this explanation is probably too complicated;
I'll go for 'Do not use ...'

https://codereview.appspot.com/6742061/diff/8001/Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely#newcode2829
Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely:2829: a standalone double thin
bar line;
here, @samp{\bar "||"} is
... here, @code{\bar} @var{"||"} is ...

https://codereview.appspot.com/6742061/diff/8001/Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely#newcode2832
Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely:2832: The @code{"-"} sign
distinguishes bar
lines with
The @code{"-"} sign separates (?). Could we have an @lilypond example
here to
show like you do with the @code{" "} example below?

Oh, I was somewhat proud to have *one* example where the
'-' *and* the ' ' were explained simultaneously and quite
naturally (at least IMHO).

https://codereview.appspot.com/6742061/diff/8001/Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely#newcode2854
Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely:2854: If additional elements are
needed,
Lilypond provides a simple
LilyPond not Lilypond.

Oops.

https://codereview.appspot.com/6742061/diff/8001/Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely#newcode2856
Documentation/notation/rhythms.itely:2856: bar lines, see file
@file{scm/bar-line.scm}.
Add this @file{} reference to an @seealso at the end.

See:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/contributor/syntax-survey#cross-references