Re: How to procede with \override/\revert business

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: How to procede with \override/\revert business
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 07:02:43 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> 2012/10/31 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
> [...]
>> Is it
>> possible to define (create) a new property from the user level?  I
>> don't recall any information about this.
>>
>> Janek
>
> see:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2012-05/msg00543.html
>
> But I didn't try it with latest devel-version.

Thanks for looking up the detailed answer.  It is likely still
accurate. The problem with the object property approach is that without
a reference to the symbol (like some data structure containing it, or
some code referencing it), the object property is volatile.

So if you use this sort of define-object-property before storing the
symbol elsewhere, it will evaporate at next garbage collection.