other people's commits seem to get mixed with mine - help

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: other people's commits seem to get mixed with mine - help
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 19:15:55 +0100

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 12:41 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> David,
>
> I don't mind making the changes, but I'm running into some problems.  I
> used git pull -r before making a patch set and uploading to rietveld,
> but looking over the patch set there I see that other changes have found
> their way in--including your check-grob-path function.
>
> I'm probably making some silly error here, and I appreciate any advice
> you can give me for this.  (Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to
> get this until some hours from now.)

It sounds like you have your changes on a separate branch (let's
assume it's named 'topic').  I suppose the problem is that you pulled
only to your 'topic' branch and not to master (or the other way
round).  The result of that would be that recent commits that had been
added to official repository were added only to your 'topic' branch
and not master - if that's the case and you tell git to 'format-patch
master' or 'cl upload master', it will include all changes that are on
'topic' and not on master (i.e. not only your commit).
If you want to get some insight, try doing these:
- compare the output of 'git log --oneline' on master and on your topic branch
- look at the contents of last patches using 'git log --patch' on
master and topic
- look at the output of 'git diff master' (assuming you are on topic)
and search for the changes you saw in previous step
- look at the ouput of 'git log --oneline master..topic' and 'git log
--oneline topic..master'.  First one will show you the commits present
in topic and not present in master, and the second one the other way
round.  You will probably notice commits that don't belong to you.
- try above two steps with 'origin/master' instead of 'master'.

That should give you an idea of what's happening.

hth,
Janek