Re: Allows optional octavation for clefs (issue 6813044)

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Allows optional octavation for clefs (issue 6813044)
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 11:10:54 +0100

Am 03.11.2012 23:20, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Marc Hohl <address@hidden> wrote:
Am 02.11.2012 09:58, schrieb address@hidden:
http://codereview.appspot.com/6813044/diff/6001/lily/clef-engraver.cc#newcode125
lily/clef-engraver.cc:125: if (ly_is_procedure (formatter))
it seems that octavation won't work at all if "clefOctavationFormatter"
is not a procedure.  Do we want this?
Yes.

clefOctavationFormatter is set in ly/engraver-init.ly, so by default, it is
a procedure.
If the user clears the default setting or defines something else instead,
then he
has to carry the consequences ;-)
Maybe there should be a warning?
Hmmm – if you do a 'grep ly_is_procedure' on the sources, there are
a lot of hits. I randomly picked about ten and never found that an
error or a warning message is raised, so I just follow the style guidelines ;-)

http://codereview.appspot.com/6813044/diff/6001/scm/define-context-properties.scm#newcode200
scm/define-context-properties.scm:200: (cueClefOctavationFormatter
,procedure? "A procedure that takes the
maybe it would be a good idea to merge this with
clefOctavationFormatter?  Or is it not possible?
In ly/engraver-init.ly, clefOctavationFormatter and
cueClefOctavationFormatter
are initialized to use the same function, but I think the user should be
able to
define/choose different functions for each clef type.
ah, ok.  Missed that.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6813044/diff/6001/scm/parser-clef.scm#newcode149
scm/parser-clef.scm:149: ;; not 'default to calm display-lily-tests.scm
i don't understand this comment...
As could be seen on

http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2933#c4
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2933#c12
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2933#c15

display-lily-tests.scm complains about a new property set to 'default.
David proposed to either change display-lily-tests.scm or to avoid
setting an unused property (which it is, in this case) with a strong
preference to the latter case. So that's what I did.
ok.  It may be a good idea to reword the comment a bit, but it's not
very important.
Perhaps I come up with a better wording.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6813044/diff/6001/scm/parser-clef.scm#newcode170
scm/parser-clef.scm:170: (define-public (make-cue-clef-set clef-name)
Again, this piece of code looks the same as make-clef-set.  Could it be
merged?
Well, in the original code there were two functions, so I just extended
them.
I don't see a *simple* way of merging the two functions into one.
ok, let's leave it alone for now.

LGTM
thanks!
Thanks for your time to review!