Re: Adds documentation for optional octavation clef syntax (issue 683004

From: janek . lilypond
Subject: Re: Adds documentation for optional octavation clef syntax (issue 6830043)
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 14:13:23 +0000

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Marc Hohl <address@hidden> wrote:
For a flute, I used \clef "G^(8)" to indicate that the player may
play it
one
octave above (preferred in combination with concert flute) or as
written
(when played with recorder).

Interesting.  Of course the notation you describe makes sense, but i
would definitely avoid it because it seems to ambiguous to me.
By the way, is it just me or are brackets (as opposed to parentheses)
commonly used for indicating editorial elements?  If so, i think that
a bracketed octavation would mean a "reminder".  That would make it
easy to confuse the two meanings.

Anyway, i recommend rewording the description to make it
interpretation-independent, i.e. something like "to put brackets or
parentheses around octavation, just use brackets/parentheses in the
code" without explaining what that could mean musically.

I don't see that we can get around defining what it should mean
musically when we allow for absolute pitch entry and generate Midi.

Well, i think that the explanation which Marc had put there ("The
pitches are displayed as if the numeric argument were given without
parentheses/brackets.") should suffice.
So, LGTM.
Janek

http://codereview.appspot.com/6830043/