Re: midi2ly failure

From: James
Subject: Re: midi2ly failure
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 11:01:13 +0000

Ben,

On 19 December 2012 10:03, Colin Hall <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 06:39:09PM -0800, Ben Rudiak-Gould wrote:
>> I rewrote midi.c in Python and tested it on the largest midi file in
>> IMSLP [1]. On my laptop it takes about 200 ms instead of 50 ms to load
>> the file, but that's a small fraction of midi2ly's four-second
>> runtime, and there are a lot of optimizations that can be done in
>> midi2ly itself. (For example, memoizing the creation of Duration
>> objects saves about 500 ms.) I think getting rid of the sole occupant
>> of usr/lib/lilypond/current/python is worth it. Assuming you agree,
>> where should I send the code?
>
> Formally, the process for submitting code is set out here:
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/contributor-big-page#commits-and-patches
>
> Ideally, if you need one, a mentor should help you to follow the above
> process:
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/contributor-big-page#mentors
>
> In practice, ask the devs. Phil Holmes or David Kastrup should be able
> to guide you. Although Graham is listed here as Project Manager, I
> don't this is the case any longer.
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/topdocs/AUTHORS
>
> Cheers,
> Colin.
>
> --

If you have a git-formatted patch you can send it to me and I can help
with this process (although if you intend to do more LP development in
the future, it would be good for you to get familiar with our slightly
idiosyncratic-but-it-works process as outlined above.

I'd rather get something up for review for you than not.

However I am not technically competent enough to review this, I can
merely test the patch and post the code up for review by our other dev
team - via Reitveld (again as documented above).

James