Re: unsubscribing from -devel

From: David Kastrup
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 17:48:43 +0200

Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:

> My last remarkable contribution is about 9 months ago, and all
> attempts to getting into lilypond again (not only visible on -devel,
> but also in private emails) showed me that this will not work properly
> in my current situation.

Huh.  Could have fooled me.  There's been action on some issues
lately...

> Instead of just composing and fiddling with computers, I realized that
> I have to *play* music which (at least to me) seems much more
> satisfying compared to computer work.

Jan recently asked my about feedback on Schikker's List.  I told him if
I actually ever managed to anything _with_ LilyPond rather than _on_
LilyPond, I'd likely be better able to provide feedback there.

It's a phenomenon I've witnessed on a _lot_ of software development: it
is rarely the case that people manage to do both serious work on
software as well as with software for a long amount of time.

> The last weeks' so-called work on lilypond was merely deleting the
> incoming mails without really having time to read it, so staying
> subscribed does not really make sense at all.

Uh, your last week's "so-called" work on LilyPond involved preparing and
discussing patches on the Scheme formatting if I am not mistaken.

At any rate, if you take a look at the work that I manage "at the
community's behest", the coverage is rather haphazard and much is driven
by improving on the work of others and/or getting stuff done right.  But
before you can "get something done right", there must be the motivation
to do so, by getting something done at all first.  It may be frustrating
at times to realize that I am improving and/or rewriting a lot of
contributions from others, but it is not like I would be doing anything
in those areas without others calling the shot first.

So a lot of the work I end up doing is actually driven by people
considering it important enough for them to give it a hand themselves.

At any rate: whatever you decide on doing: there is no point feeling bad
about it.